The York Culture Awards is organised by Make It York. Make It York (York’s Destination Organisation) has an overarching remit to market the city and its surroundings – nationally and internationally – as a vibrant and attractive place to live to visit, study, work and do business. The remit covers leisure and business tourism, city centre management, festivals and events, business support and inward investment.
The York Culture Awards celebrates excellence in the arts and culture sector and reward outstanding innovation, creativity and quality. It will be an opportunity to showcase our city-wide cultural achievements and future plans, as well as to inspire and motivate organisations, businesses and educational institutions to make York’s cultural offer stronger.
Our objectives for the York Cultural Awards are to:
- Celebrate and showcase both our uniqueness and our diversity, to help build a confident and creative cultural community
- Encourage York as a city to be more culturally ambitious and working across all boundaries
- Reward and recognise cultural excellence within our city and its surroundings
- Highlight the importance of culture to build and maintain a sustainable economy
- Establish a long term, sustainable, credible event to help promote the city of York to residents, visitors, businesses and students
- Our aim, by showcasing the city’s cultural uniqueness and diversity, is to ultimately make culture more accessible to everyone and to encourage more people to take part.